Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 56: Attack of the killer swan.

Today started out nice and calm, we went to the play ground and Gracie had a fabulous time running around playing. Then we went for a nice quiet walk around the lake... We almost got murdered by a rather large, angry swan, who had good taste in footwear as it decided to steal and guard my mothers flip-flop.

Today's positives:

S: We slept in until 7am! Lovely for Mummy :)

G: I had fun pushing Gracie on the swing and hearing her squeal with laughter, shouting "WEEEEEE", then playing on the climbing frame. She has excellent balance for one so young.

S: It was funny watching Gracie climb in the tunnel and peek out at everyone. Then once in a while wave at me with a huge grin on her face.

G: It was very cute having Gracie help me push James in the stroller.

S: James was splayed out and sleeping while we took a nice walk. He seems to love being out side and finds it very relaxing.

S: I actually managed to nurse James while we walked around Walmart. Auntie Shay got me a nursing cape for my baby shower and it has turned out to be one of my most used and prized possessions.

G: I am quite impressed with the way Gracie asks to take a nap when she is tried, she walks to her bed, points and waits to be lifted in. Then she snuggles down to sleep.

S: I am also feeling quite pleased with how well she has taken to time out. While I do not like having to punish my baby I am very proud of how well she has responded to the occasional correction. She will not move off her cushion until she is told to do so and has become quite good at listening to explanation of punishment then giving cuddles.

G: Swimming with the children was quite an adventure. James quite enjoyed being gently swished through the water. Gracie on the other hand believes she is part fish!

S: Gracie has become quite fearless in the water. She likes to be dunked under and I think she has the determination to possibly learn to swim this summer.

G:After dinner Grandpa treated everyone to a trip to the ice cream parlor. It was fun sharing an ice cream with Gracie. (Strawberry with sprinkles).

S: James did have a little lick of my ice cream teehee.

G: I was very glad both the babies where in the stroller when the swan chased us. 

Well today has been VERY busy and tiring. Our swan adventure was funny enough to add in but not necessarily be considered a positive...

Whilst walking along the river a swan slowly swam towards the bank. As we wandered a long the dirt path we were quite surprised as it hopped out of the water and started to charge us. Mum and I both being girls and slightly afraid of big white beasty started to scream and panic run in circles. Somewhere in the commotion Mum lost her flip-flop. It was then I knew it was game over.
Swan then grabbed mum by her charming purple shirt and mum returned the favor with a firm grip of its neck. I, seeing them in each others death grip panicked further and charged at the squabble screaming a scream that sounded like it might belong on the sound track to Jurassic Park (T-Rex voice over). Then offering my best high karate kick the swan who released my mother and stopped to have a quick "Oh no she dihent" moment, then proceeded to chase me, before realizing my madness was not worth it and going back towards angry screaming purple lady.
By this point my mum hopped past me on one foot with the stroller screaming "save yourself forget the shoe"
After running to a safe distance, we turned to observe the swan who was now back at the flip-flop marching back and forth, wings splayed and honking. The mother in me took over and knowing I did not have enough gas to go home to get my mother different shoes before going to Walmart I waited for the swan to go back to the water before running and grabbing the shoe then returning it to it's rightful (non webbed foot) owner.
 Needless to say we both felt a bit like jello and rather shocked that nobody had come to tell us off for making such a racket never mind rescue us.
When talking to the owner of the park cafe she told me this swan manages to bite at least one person every year and is known for being aggressive. Slight shocked and annoyed that they don't have warning signs Beware Psycho Swan.

Okay, now we have that off our chest. I think it's time to go chill out!

Goodnight all

- Sophie and Grammy.






















2 comments:

  1. Brilliant....."save yourself forget the shoe"....What a hero mum! :-)) lol
    Absolutely love it! Can you find me a nice American to marry so I can come live there with you please!
    The photo's are GORGEOUS too. Was just thinking the last time I saw you two was either HESFES 2004 or at Alison's barge when I sat down at the picnic table and it buckled and collapsed (the shame!) So much has happened in all your lives since then...and I'm still sat here in the same place stagnating:-( Love you guys XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary Daisy and shoe's are replaceable but swan bites hurt! It feels like a life-time ago now that we saw you and your lovely boys. I would say you have had quite a few adventures since then and your support of Z and all his achievements is far from stagnating. Love you too xoxox

      Delete